Tuesday, March 5, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

I finally finished reading Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion earlier today. Honestly, the reason why I decided to read this novel is because I really loved the movie adaptation. Sadly, I didn't really enjoyed the novel as much as the movie.

So for some reason 200+ pages took me a week to finish. I don't really know why. I'm usually a very fast reader but somehow I really couldn't make myself finish this in one sitting. I think it took me a week to get through to this. I was pretty much excited about getting my hands on this particular book since I just loved the movie. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't that bad or anything but it wasn't as funny as the movie. On the contrary it was kinda' depressing. I did like the author's unique take on zombies. It was refreshing for some reason since they weren't portrayed in the traditional sense.

I really liked 'R' though. His narration throughout the entire novel made me cringe and then warmed all at the same time. I don't know. Reading from his POV made me think that zombies definitely have hope. 

Anyway, I will have to admit that I definitely enjoyed watching the movie more so I might not pick up the next book in the series. Rumor has it there's going to be a part 2. But who knows. Anyway, the writing wasn't particularly bad it was just probably somewhere in the middle. Not that bad but not that good either. But the story had potential. It had its ups and downs. It didn't confuse me quite a bit since there were times when the POV suddenly shifts from 'R' to Perry but other than that it was just okay. I didn't particularly dislike or like Julie either. She wasn't as kickass as she was in the movie but I did love Nora. She was hilarious!

RATING: 3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment