Monday, February 25, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by Tahereh Mafi

I finally got around to posting my review on Unravel Me. I finished reading this a few days ago but was just too lazy to actually post something. Plus, I needed the story to sink in. It was truly awesome. Everything that happened, the revelations it was truly a work of art. Anyway, again the novel is told in Juliette's POV and picks up a few weeks after the events from the first book.

I have to be honest here. Juliette kinda' annoyed me in this installment. I wanted to strangle her the entire time. I missed the old Juliette. She was mopey, selfish, childish and just full of negativity that I just wanted to smack her  for  some reason. It's either she contemplated on how miserable her entire life is or cry. I seriously wanted her to grow up and she doesn't even bother to think of the consequences of her actions. Honestly, the only thing she's ever thought of was me, myself and I. I think her pessimism kinda' got old as the story progressed and I just wanted her to grow up and think that the world does not revolve around her. And the fact that she couldn't make up her mind with regards to who she really wants. She craves physical attention and I understand that but I think she could have handled things differently.

Moving on to Adam, well, Adam is still Adam and I think he's still pretty cool. He was just a bit mopey for some reason but will get to why he is the way he is at some point. Or not. Might end up spoiling the story so I'll think about it. But anyway, I still like Adam since he seems more level-headed than Juliette even if he was a bit mopey. And the revelations and everything. He handled it pretty well considering how big those revelations were.

Lastly, there's Warner. After reading Destroy Me which is told in Warner's POV I think I came to love or at least understand Warner a bit more. I think he's just a lonely boy who is misunderstood and needs to be loved. For some reason, I sorta fell for Warner in this one. I think he seemed  more human and a human who values life for some reason. He was still mean though so yeah, still on Adam's side at this point.

Don't get me wrong. Despite the fact that I've said  some negative things regarding our heroine I still think this book is awesome. I think Juliette is the only person that kinda' pissed me off for  some reason. I liked all of the characters especially Kenji. He had a bigger role in this installment and I think he's the only one who actually told Juliette to suck it up because the world doesn't revolve around you. I really loved him for some reason. Overall, the writing is as awesome as ever. The surprises and revelations just kept on coming. I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down. It was action packed and fast paced. I didn't even realize that I was already done with it in a few hours. And that cliffhanger at the end. I need the third book now. I just hope Juliette does grow up by the time the third book comes out.

RATING: 4/5 stars 

PS: The only reason I'm giving it 4/5 stars is because of Juliette.

No comments:

Post a Comment