Monday, February 11, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Admittedly, it took me awhile to decide whether I should read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. I've been thinking about reading this for quite some time now since I wanted to again get out of my comfort zone. I got out of my comfort zone by reading the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy a year ago and for some reason I don't really find myself regretting that decision. So, I think it's about time I read something different from my usual reads. The novel is told in the perspectives of Maya and Lochan. Both are siblings btw.


To start with, I really liked and feel bad for both Lochan and Maya. I think they both grew up too fast and didn't even get to experience a decent childhood. They have absentee parents. Their parents separated a few years back. Their dad got married, moved away and didn't even bother giving child support while their mom is an awful person and mother who neglects them all the time. Anyway, I feel bad for the both of them since they had to grow up at such a young age and be the "adults of the house". In some ways, I think the fact that they grew up in a very unconventional family setting contributed to the way they see each other. They were never exactly like siblings. They always felt more like the mother and father of the younger kids and for some reason I guess that manifested in their relationship as they grew up. 

This is really not my comfort zone so forgive me if I might seem negative at some point. Don't get me wrong though, this is definitely a decent read. I've thought about reading this for quite sometime now since I figured that I could read BDSM stories so why not Incest or something along those lines. And I have to say that this is definitely not my cup of tea. I think the entire situation was just too much for me and I ended up reading this longer than I wanted to. I don't really know. I just can't make myself read this in one sitting. I found it really difficult to put myself in their shoes. The situation was just too painful for me since from the very start I knew that they could never have the happy ending that they wanted. Anyway, I do think that they truly needed each other and that's probably why things happened. The entire story was just too heartbreaking for me. The ending literally shattered me into a gazillion pieces. 

Overall, I think the writing style is awesome. It was beautifully written and totally captivating. It was just something totally out of my comfort zone. Therefore, it's something that I wouldn't be re-reading any time soon. The beginning of the novel started a bit slow for me though but as the novel progressed I got engrossed in the story even if I still couldn't read this in one sitting. The entire situation was just too dire and heavy and my heart, actually, it's my brain that couldn't take that much since the hypothalamus controls our emotions, just couldn't take everything in. Anyway, the ending was heartbreaking. Literally turned me into mush. I hated their parents for abandoning them like that. I especially hated their mother. She is the most repulsive creature on the planet. And to think that I usually have a soft spot for mothers. She has all these children just because she couldn't keep her legs closed for a couple of years and just dumps them when she doesn't need them anymore. She blames everything on the kids even if she was just being pathetic. It's not even the kids fault that she couldn't enjoy her childhood. Anyway, I can't even consider her a person. That's how much I hate her. 

RATING: 3.75/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment