Thursday, March 1, 2012

REVIEW: FEVER BY LAUREN DESTEFANO

Recently finished the second book from The Chemical Garden Trilogy which is Fever by Lauren DeStefano. The story takes place right after Rhine and Gabriel’s escape from Linden’s mansion.



Some people hate this cover but I kinda like it. Don’t ask me why I like it though. I just do. Anyhoo, I’ve been reading a lot from this genre these past few weeks and I was very excited when this particular novel came out early in the Philippines. haha. But sadly, I was a little disappointed with this one. I honestly enjoyed reading the first novel which is why I had very high expectations with this one.

First of all, Rhine kinda’ annoyed me a little. Seriously, where is the spunk from the first novel? I missed the old Rhine who is wise and manipulative but compassionate all rolled into one. She turned into a damsel in distress in this novel and I seriously disliked it. I don’t know why but I just didn’t like her as much as I liked her in the first one. I like my girls tough and not too princess-y!

As for Gabriel, well I am still leaning towards Linden. I find Gabriel a little bland. He was sweet and all but somehow he lacked something. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I honestly like Linden more. And somehow, the first 3/4 of the book made me miss him.

And lastly, there’s Linden, who by the way only appeared in the last 3 or 4 chapters of the book. I’m still leaning towards Linden. haha. I want Rhine to end up with him instead of Gabriel. I have no idea why but I really prefer Linden over Gabriel. Gabriel is just too dry for me. I love Linden’s kindness and innocence because it somehow makes him a very refreshing character.

Overall, I liked this novel just not as much as I liked the first one which I ended up finishing in one sitting. haha. I mean, I get it they are on the run but how many times can a girl get into trouble in a few days? Seriously, I think they’re troubles were seriously exaggerated which ended up making the novel a little less believable. Anyway, I’d still give this a 3.5/5 star rating. And I would definitely read the last one when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment