Sunday, January 29, 2012

REVIEW: WICKED LOVELY #3: FRAGILE ETERNITY BY MELISSA MARR

I finished reading Fragile Eternity, the third book from the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. It is the continuation of Wicked Lovely which is the first book of the series. The story revolves around Keenan, Seth and Aislinn as the new Summer Queen.



The story starts with the Summer Court having one of their meetings and Seth watching the Summer Court advisors bicker with Aislinn. Aislinn got on my nerves at some point in this book. I honestly don’t know. She just did. But to be fair I still like her as a character. I think she’s a strong and well- developed character. She just got on my nerves that’s all. Probably because of the fact that as summer solstice draws near her attraction to her Summer King strengthens and she became indecisive at some point in the story. Believe me, I do get it she’s in love with Seth and her attraction to Keenan is just inevitable but what really got on my nerves was the fact that she somehow gives into temptation every chance she got. But overall, I think she’s still one of those heroines that I could never really hate.

As for Keenan, there were times when I just wanted to hate him because of his manipulations and schemes but I guess I understand him a bit. I actually get why Niall hates him so much. Truth be told, I think he’s a selfish bastard. He says he loves Donia but then he also has this attraction with Aislinn which is again inevitable. The Summer King and Queen kinda ticked me off because of their indecisiveness. They are friends and yet they want to try to love each other? What was that about? I wanted to comfort Donia. I wanted her to just ditch Keenan and move on with her life. But then again, I guess Keenan did all of the things that he did for the good of his court and I kinda admire him for that. I just hope he finds a way to get what he wants without hurting Donia or anyone in the process.

Lastly, there’s Seth. He’s probably one of the characters that I would constantly love. I admire his devotion and loyalty towards Aislinn. He went to the Queen of High Court to become a faerie. I think that was a very noble thing to do all in the name of love. I know, I know Aislinn loves him but what she has with Keenan is
inevitable
so why can’t she just ditch Seth and let him move on with his life since everything about him and Keenan is inevitable? I don’t have anything against Ash and as I’ve said earlier she’s one of those heroines that I can’t actually hate but I think Seth deserves better. 

As for the supporting characters of course, I would always have a soft spot for the Dark King, Niall. He’s my favorite character together with his “lover” or whatever it is that they want to call themselves, Irial. I just love bad boys. haha. I think he’s a very good king. I find the shift in his personality very intriguing and seductive. haha. I just love this guy. Donia didn’t have a lot of parts in this book but I think her scenes were the memorable ones for me. I love how she asserts herself and her love for her court even if she is meant to be as cold as ice. I see her torment and conflicts and I just can’t help but love her even if she was a bit mean to Ash and Keenan at some point. I don’t think Keenan deserves her devotion. I think she should be with her guard Evan. haha. Whatever. Love is really complicated.

There were new characters introduced in this novel as well. Some were already mentioned in Ink Exchange like Bananach, she kinda creeps me out. Sorcha, the Queen of the High Court is her sister and alter ego. I like her even if she’s too uptight. I did portray her when my friends and I had an impromptu photoshoot. This is the first time I’ve read about her though and I didn’t expect to like her especially when she became “motherly”. And there’s also Devlin. He is Bananach and Sorcha’s brother. I still haven’t decided whether I should like or not like him. Either way he intrigues me and I can’t wait to read more about him in the next novel.

Again, Melissa Marr never fails to amaze me with this series. I really like the faerie politics mixed with a little L.O.V.E. The concept just appeals to me and I really don’t know why. The writing of this novel was epic. I love how the characters developed even if the Summer Court leaders somehow irritated me a bit but overall I’d give this novel a 4/5 star rating. I just can’t wait to read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment